After a disastrous fire in 1860, a group of citizens met for the purpose of procuring an engine and other equipment necessary to protect the center of town.
Some sixty men subscribed to this organization and a collection of $1195 made it possible to purchase an engine and 200 feet of hose.
On August 1, 1863 the by-laws of the Association were adopted and the first tax was levied in January of 1864. Land was purchased on Railroad Street and the firehouse was constructed at a cost of $900.
In April of 1874 the Association requested the New Milford Water Company to install lines and hydrants within the district.
In 1876, a new hose cart and hose were purchased and the Engine House was from this date known as the Hose House.
In early 1883 larger quarters were needed and the Association purchased a site on Church Street and its construction was completed in 1890.
In 1891 the Directors gave the Hose Company permission to use the fire equipment "outside of its district", and continues this practice to this day.
After the major fire of 1902, the Association requested the New Milford Water Company to increase its mains to "supply adequate pressure to the hydrants" and a twelve inch line was installed through the business areas.
In April of 1916 the Association purchased its first automotive fire truck and served the community until it was retired and sold in 1935.
In March of 1923, an American LaFrance combination pumper and hose cart was purchased and remained in service until 1952.
In January of 1926, the present Air Whistle Alarm System was installed and controlled by the operators of the Southern New England Telephone Company.
In May of 1941, the Association purchased one of the most modern pieces of fire equipment to be seen anywhere in this area - a combination pumper, hose and ladder truck.
In 1956, all mobile units were equipped with radio and a control station was places at the Hose House.
In this same year, the need for larger and more modern quarter became evident and property on Grove Street was purchased.
The present firehouse was completed in 1960 featuring a meeting room upstairs and five truck bays with a sixth added in 1986.
In 1980 the town built a four-bay substation in the Lanesville district substantially improving the fire protection for the southern part of New Milford. In the late 1990's, three more bays were added bringing the total number of bays to seven.
In the late 1980's, three more bays were added to the back of the Grove Street firehouse.
In 1989, Water Witch Hose Co. #2 took delivery of their 102-foot aerial ladder truck.